Monday, September 1, 2008

Embrace Life and my Sisters (& Brothers) in Widowhood




The place: Chicago & Bloomington Illinois 8/24/08-8/26/08
The event: Embrace Life Awards, State Farm ®

The honorees: 13 women & men, who have lost a spouse or parent, have persevered and inspired others. These stories shared how life insurance enabled and helped people Embrace Life or lack of adequate Life Insurance further challenged people and how they moved forward, are doing meaningful work and gave back to their families and community.

Objective: Visit http://www.sfembracelifeawards.com/ to read about the program and the honorees stories. The 2009 nomination process is open, so if you or someone you know should be nominated you have the opportunity to do so now and for the next months to come.
Coach Corner: One coaching exercise I use with my clients is called the “wheel of life”, and we look at our level of satisfaction with the 8 major components of our lives. Financial/money is one of the 8 components. One question I ask clients is “how are you protecting your family, your children in case something happens to you? How comfortable and satisfied are you that those you love will be able to Embrace Life with the help of financial security if we also have an untimely death? This can be a difficult concept or discussion to have for some, but it is a critically important one to have. I was fortunate to have some life insurance proceeds after my husband’s death and it enabled me to have some freedom to make major changes in life, reinvest in advanced education, leave my corporate leadership position and begin a coaching business. I am grateful to my husband for providing some life insurance and can also tell you that a more adequate amount would have made it easier for me and my son. The lesson is to have life insurance and have an adequate amount to care for your loved ones. It was surprising to learn that about 1/3 of all Americans have little to no life insurance. One commitment I made recently was to increase and secure additional life protection (insurance) for my son. As you look at the financial/money aspect of your life, please include life insurance in your planning.

I want to thank State Farm ® for an amazing honor and experience and express how honored I felt to meet and be in the company of the honorees. Every honoree was powerful, compassionate, passionate and living “with purpose”. All have taken steps to “pay it forward” and do amazing and inspired work. (A special and personal thank you to Carole for the “socks” and to Wanda for your hospitality- you are two of my Sisters in Widowhood.)

As widows, we know more than many about life and about death. Let’s make sure we Embrace Life and protect those we love.
Warmly,
Colleen

No comments: