Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Milestones


A warm hello,


We each have experienced "milestones" in our lives/careers, milestones we may be currently experiencing and milestones we have yet to experience. Every milestone is unique to each woman. In addition, and in a general sense there may be milestones that we may share.

Milestones are "markers" of sort. A marriage, the birth of a child, a graduation, a promotion, a demotion or downsizing, a new business, overcoming a big fear, and yes of course illness or death of a loved one. Life is full of milestones, isn't it?

What are some milestones you've experienced? How do you hold those memories, what are you more aware of and what have they taught you?

Some milestones are HUGE! Others are rites of passage, and still a big deal and meaningful. What are some of the milestones you are experiencing now in your life? Again, what are you learning and becoming more aware of? What is important and meaningful to you? How do you choose to honor that?

My son turned 8 years old today. It is hard to believe! He is moving from little boy to a bigger version of a little boy. He's growing up and getting so much taller. Today feels to me like a milestone. He's lived longer now without his daddy than with him. It is almost 5 years now. Another milestone.

Here is a milestone and something important I've learned in my personal journey of life (as a woman, widow, mother, coach, business owner, daughter, friend and significant other.) I've learned to move from "acceptance" to, as Byron Katie of "The Work" so eloquently writes it, "To Love What Is." It really is a powerful shift! I've gotten to a place after much work to "Love What Is". This has paved the road for me to become more comfortable in my own skin, become a better mother, a better coach and to be open for a new love in my life. This is a very big milestone. After Rory died and for years to follow, I wasn't ready for a significant other because I had to work on me first. I'm glad I did and am so grateful to "Love What Is" and to have an amazing love and significant other in my life now.

I've always said, rediscovering ourselves after the loss of our husbands no matter the circumstances, no matter the relationship we had, is a journey. May your journey bring you to a destination that you too can "Love What Is".

Coach Corner:

If you could move from acceptance to "Loving What Is" in your life, what would that be like? How would you feel? What is now possible?

Here's to You.

Warmly,
Colleen

Visit http://www.coachingforwidows.com/ for a sample coaching session and widow and transition resources.




No comments: