Monday, December 1, 2008

Anniversary, holidays & Carpe Diem


A warm hello,

Pictured above is our Christmas tree my son and I put up and decorated yesterday. It is always one of my favorite activities of the year. I love the ritual and a blend of the old and the new. Over the last 4 years, while decorating our trees, I did find myself sad at times even though I loved it. It was so hard to see the ornaments, and to miss my husband all the more. This year was easier, and part of that is the time that has passed, the personal growth and development I've undertaken and the wonderful coaching clients I have the honor of working with, supporting and learning from as well.

My son was so engaged in the process and was hands on decorating (until of course his attention span dwindled) and I was left finishing up. (that is a 7 year old for you!) We had so much fun unwrapping and he had his favorites, knew which ones were his daddy's, which were mine, which were our families. He loved looking at his baby pictures in some of the ornaments and he remembered some great memories. This was another great opportunity to continue linking the new with the old and sharing stories of dad and creating new memories as well. All in all it was great!

A few days ago (On Thanksgiving Day actually) it was the 4 1/2 year anniversary of Rory's passing. In some ways it seems like a lifetime ago and in others, very recent. He is in my heart and it feels good to have him there as I continue to Embrace Life now and going forward.

This weekend, my dad who is now 73 years old was helping me take down the Christmas boxes (lights, ornaments, decorations) from my attic. He fell off a high ladder while helping me. Thankfully he is okay. My heart was in my throat when he fell and I was so worried about his well being and health. He will not be getting on any ladder on my watch again.

My dad falling, again reinforced to me how important "Carpe Diem" (seize the day) is. This time of year is great for reflection and it is also a time to "Carpe Diem". I cannot take for granted anything and have great opportunity to ensure I seize the day with those I love.

Coach Corner:
What does "Carpe Diem" mean to you? How and in what ways could you seize the day?




Here's to you.

Warmly,
Colleen






No comments: