Saturday, November 15, 2008

85 degrees and yes Thanksgiving is next week--What?



A warm hello,


Has this year gone by quickly for you? Depending on your life and circumstances, your answer may be similar or very different from mine. For me, this year has literally flown by and I am almost taken by surprise that the holidays are just around the corner. Living in Florida now (where it was 85 degrees Fahrenheit a few days ago) it seems still so strange to not have cold weather as the holidays approach.

For widows and others, the holidays can often trigger emotions which can include stress, indecisiveness and depending on where you are on your journey, yes even joy and happiness. One of my clients is at somewhat of a crossroads on her "widow journey" and is trying to take a step forward, stand on her own two feet and honor her value of family as the upcoming holiday season quickly approaches. Although much has changed for her (for many of us since our husband's passed) it does mean things cannot be exactly the way they once were, but we now have an opportunity to recreate how we most want to create new memories, honor the past and embrace life and the holidays.

As Thanksgiving is next week, it is always to time to share how we are thankful or grateful. For me, being grateful is a great thing to do 365 days a year. Somewhere along the way I have gotten much more engaged in being grateful for my family/friends, what I have, whom I love, my health, my clients etc. and less about what I have lost and how challenging being a single parent can be.

Coach Corner:
  • What new memories might you wish to create this holiday season and which activities from the past would you like to continue?
  • How can you honor your past, be engaged in the present and embrace your life?
  • What are you grateful for? By the way, if this interests you and you personally enjoy writing, you can purchase the Gratitude Journal by Rhonda Byrne from the Secret. It is available at major book stores. I find it to be a great resource!
Here's to you and to a great holiday season.

Warmly,
Colleen

No comments: