Thursday, November 13, 2008

Moments in Time...Genius..Feedback


A warm hello,


There have been many moments in time that I have reflected on that revolve around my late husband and our marriage. If you are a widow reading this, I can confidently say, you more than likely have done the same. Many of these moments in time are a source of warmth, fondness, sometimes sadness and perhaps a myriad of other emotions and remembrances.


Recently, I've recalled a few moments in time (outside of my time with my husband) and how in some ways they have threaded together and have just made me darn curious. Let me preface what I am about to write with this, I am somewhat scared of heights. (It may have something to do with falling out of a high tree fort at a young age:-)


First memory, a proud one to be sure was when I won the 13 and over state springboard diving championship. It was a one meter springboard, so not very high in the air.


Second memory, sophomore year of high school, I took the winter season off from gymnastics to dive with the swim team. Later that year, I was invited to travel with, compete and practice with Brown University's swim and diving team. Brown's pool is a 50 meter pool in one direction, 25 meters in the other and included two 1 meter springboards (obviously my favorite and my "safe" place), two 3 meter springboards (moving into I'm nervous land) and 1 ten meter platform (moving into, OMG, Yicks!!). Our diving coach, Dave would be out on a floating platform in the water, so he could get a good look at our dives and call out feedback, correction, positive reinforcement and call for dives he wanted us to do. Well, the day came when Dave called out for me to go up to the platform and do a very simple dive called a "landing". I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a very long climb up the long ladder, the American Flag was hanging, there were two chairs up on top and it was a very high ten meters. I wanted to go off the platform, but I was terrified...I am not a quitter, but I just couldn't do it. I walked back down and that was it and my diving career was over. My parents were somewhat disappointed as there had been initial conversation regarding a free scholarship to Brown for my college years. An IVY league education would have been awesome! This moment in time, stayed with my for many years.


Third memory was much later in life during my corporate career, within the past ten years. We went to Leadership Challenge and participated in many experiential leadership learning activities. One activity was the "tree course" high up in the sky. Hooks, and cords etc...I was partnered with one of our senior executives and really did not want him to "see me sweat". Not only did I sweat, I was petrified. All of my fears, and my memories of that day at Brown University came flying back. With my partners phenomenal encouragement, praise and his willingness to listen and be there for me I successfully completed the tree and ropes course and finished with an incredible sense of relief, accomplishment and personal fulfillment.


Just because something has held us back before, it doesn't mean we can't move past it at some point and in some new way.


Sometimes it is just our beliefs that get in the way. One belief I have (had) is that I am not very talented when it comes to building things. Case in point. Last night my son and I were making his Lego Star Wars Spaceship and he is really good at it and again I believe (believed) I am not very good. At one moment, Ryan needed my help to find a piece and put it together. When I completed it, he immediately said "Genius", "way to go Mom". Feedback is such a gift, it can really help shift our beliefs, create new experiences, change our behaviors and achieve new and often better results.


Coach Corner:

Where in your life would you (and others) benefit from providing or asking for feedback?


Here's to You.


Warmly,

Colleen

No comments: